Sunday, July 15, 2012

Watermelon - seedless

Seedless watermelons are NOT genetically modified - they are a hybrid. Seedless requires bees to pollinate, so as our bee population diminishes so too will our seedless watermelon. Watermelon is believed to have been first grown in the wild in southern Africa. Since then, it has been mentioned in the Bible, found in tombs in ancient Egypt, and the largest producer is now China. It is 6% sugar and 92% water, and has vitamin C, beta caroten, and lycopene. I love watermelon. I remember spitting seeds off of Nana and Papa's porch which caused watermelons to grow in Nana's flower bed. I pick it out of fruit salads. What makes me sad? This year the taste and quantity have not been the same. All in all, I say: EAT IT with or without seeds - even as a juice.

No comments:

Post a Comment