Sunday, February 2, 2014

quiet witness


quiet witness

On Long Lake in Ontario, Canada I was built.

Painted white and perfectly situated, I was called Stony Lonesome.

I have been a quiet witness to laughter, tall-tales, card games, hummingbirds feeding, and creatures frolicking.

I may be missing my original rusted green pump.

I may be missing a pair of birch - or two.

I may be missing gas lamps and more than a couple of weather worn docks.

I still have a warm stove during chilly mornings.

I still hold the smell of bug spray, pines, and bacon.

I still have a screened in porch perfect for listening to loons and whippoorwills.

I still sit near a cool, clear lake where beavers build their dams.

On Long Lake between Apsley and Lakefield, Ontario, Canada I was built.

Repainted white and perfectly situated, I am called Stony Lonesome.

I will continue to be a quiet witness to laughter, tall-tales, card games, hummingbirds feeding, and creatures frolicking.

 

H.Stevens

No comments:

Post a Comment