Wednesday, April 9, 2014

My Eulogy for my Nana

I’m the oldest daughter of the youngest daughter. I’m the middle cousin. There are 7 older than me and 7 younger than I am. I’m a social studies teacher, so I couldn’t resist. Nana loved to hear my little cultural tidbits. In some countries like China, announcements for a funeral service are sent in the form of an invitation. Most of the time, the invitations are white, but if a person was over the age of 80 the invitations are pink. Living beyond 80 is considered a feat worth celebrating, so guests wear white with pink or red.  We are here to celebrate Nana’s long life. The first word that comes to mind when I think of Nana is, service. She lived to serve others. I think that is where she found purpose and happiness. Service is one of the biggest things she taught me. She took me to Children’s Hospital to volunteer in the summer, and I worked the first Fantasy of Trees, back when there were only about five volunteers. Now I would probably have to be on a waiting list to volunteer. The second word that comes to mind which has been mentioned several times already is fun. She knew how to have fun. She loved to travel, eat out, play long card games (especially in Canada after dinner), see movies, dance, fly, swim, cook (cooking with her were the only times I ever cooked), and be outdoors. We had tea parties in the treehouse with real tea and China. She took me on my first horseback ride. She and Papa took me: on my first sail, to my fist symphony, to my fist play, to my first opera, and my first ballet. I will always think of her when I hear Pavarotti sing, and I will always feel close to her when I see the sun shining on the tips of the water. Papa would point to the sparkling water and say, “Your Nana is the wealthiest woman on earth; look at all her diamonds.” I know she made my life richer.

No comments:

Post a Comment