Sunday, June 22, 2014

Poseidon

In 1972 a classic disaster film was released. When I rented it on VHS years later I was in love with disaster films. I think it was my first even. Hackman (Unforgiven), Borgnine (Wild Bunch), Winters (The Three Sisters), Buttons (Longest Day), and McDowell (Planet of the Apes) starred in this amazing adventure.
A cruise ship is capsized and rescue will not be able to get there in time. A group of people realize they have to travel to the top which is essentially the very bottom of the ship in order to be rescue. Stairs go in the wrong direction, there are fires, sections are under water, and electricity sparking. It is AWESOME. All in all, I say: SEE IT
In 1979 a sequel was made. People return to the overturned ship to find fortune. Caine (Batman Begins), Field (Forest Gump), and Savalas (Kojak) starred.

All in all, I say: SKIP IT
In 2005, a tv movie remake was released. Baldwin (Firefly), Guttenberg (Three Men and a Baby), Brown (Australia), Howell (Soul Man), Kingston (Dr. Who), Weller (RoboCop), and Hauer (Batman Begins) starred.

Aside from the fact there were tons of commercials and I think it went for 2 or 3 nights. All in all, I say: SEE IT but only after the original.
Not sure why, but exactly one year later it was remade again for the big screen and I was there. 2006 was the year and the boat was the same. All the characters were updated though - different from all the others which made it unique.

Dreyfuss (Mr. Holland's Opus), Russell (Overboard), Rossum (Phantom of the Opera), Lucas (Hulk), Rodriquez (Six Feet Under), and Dillon (Entourage) starred.  All in all, I say: SEE IT


No comments:

Post a Comment