Saturday, March 14, 2015

A Boy At War: A Novel of Pearl Harbor (Trilogy)

A novel by Harry Mazar who also wrote: Heroes Don't Run: A Novel of the Pacific War and A Boy No More. 
It took me about 1-2 hours to read the book. It is quick - just enough to get to know one character well, climax comes (bombing of Pearl Harbor) and then it ends as quickly as it began. They are at about a 6th grade reading level - all three. I have a few of each at work because they make great interest getters. Kids read these short books and get interested in the topic and then I show them a higher reading level book of same topic. I have also used to them to give brief background on the topics before going into more boring specifics. This is the first book - we meet Adam Pilko. His father is in the navy and is stationed on the USS Arizona. All in all, I say: READ IT.
This is the second book - Adam's family has moved to California after his father's death at Pearl Harbor. His friend from Hawaii, Davi, has been sent Manzanar and needs Adam's help. All in all, I say: READ IT
This is the third book - Adam joins the war. All in all, I say: READ IT.

No comments:

Post a Comment