Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Airplane!

I am NOT one for screwball comedies, but this movie that was released in 1980 tickled my fancy. This movie and Spaceballs are the only two of their kind that I like. They make fun of other movies in the genre. Spaceballs makes fun of all the space movies that came out in the 80s and 90s - Airplane makes fun of all the disaster movies that were out in the 70s and 80s. If I had seen this movie for the first time recently I probably would have hated it, but seeing it in the 80s has given it a special place in my heart. There is so much going on in this. Bridges (High Noon) is in charge in the airport and every time we see him he says he picked the wrong day to quit ... fill in the blank - smoking or doing crack - funny! Hays (Homeward Bound) has a drinking problem which means no matter what he's drinking, water or coke, he spills it on himself - love it! There is a scene with the flight crew that is funny because the pilots name is Oveur. Basically, the crew is poisoned and a pilot that is now afraid of flying has to land the plane and all sorts of things go wrong. The running gag is, "And don't call me Shirley." All in all, I say: SEE IT and none of the sequels.

No comments:

Post a Comment