Friday, June 24, 2016

A River Runs Through It

 Maclean wrote his autobiography which centers on fly-fishing. He provides the reader with insights and wisdom all by writing about fly-fishing. His father was a preacher - Presbyterian. His brother was rebellious and lived a life on the edge. He however took another path. It is touching. All in all, I say: READ IT but be warned there is a lot of fishing!
This is from the book:
"Now nearly all those I loved and did not understand when I was young are dead, but I still reach out to them. Of course, now I am too old to be much of a fisherman, and now of course I usually fish the big waters alone, although some friends think I shouldn't. Like many fly fisherman in western Montana where the summer days are almost Arctic in length, I often do not start fishing until the cool of the evening. Then in the Arctic half-light of the canyon all existence fades to a being with my soul and memories and the sounds of the Big Blackfoot River and a four-count rhythm and the hope that a fish will rise. Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs. I am haunted by waters."
Redford (The Sting) directed this film adaptation. It still has fly-fishing just not as much. A lot of the stories are condensed a bit for story telling purposes, but I have to say you won't care. The acting and the scenery is magnificent. Directed the way on Redford can. Sheffer (That Was Then, This is Now), Pitt (Moneyball), Skerritt (Top Gun), and Blethyn (Liitle Voice) do an amazing job. All in all, I say: SEE IT

No comments:

Post a Comment