Friday, June 24, 2016

The Time Machine

 Taylor (The Birds) stars in this 1960 film adaptation of the book. After reading the book it was fun to watch. The effects are 60s effects, but don't let stuff like that prevent you from seeing a good film. All in all, I say: SEE IT after reading the book.
This is my favorite HG Wells book. I have read it more than once. Odd considering how much I loath stories, movies, and such about time travel. Perhaps, because it was the first of its kind that I read. Perhaps because it was Wells and none other. It is about precisely what the title leads you to believe. A scientist makes a time machine and uses it. I don't want to tell the results. All in all, I say: READ IT - then see the original movie not the remake.

This is from the book:
"Into the manhood of the race: I, for my own part, cannot think that these latter days of weak experiment, fragmentary theory, and mutual discord are indeed man's culminating time! I say, for my own part. He, I know - for the question had been discussed among us long before the Time Machine was made - thought but cheerlessly of the Advancement of Mankind, and saw in the growing pile of civilization only a foolish heaping that must inevitably fall back upon and destroy its makers in the end. If that is so, it remains for us to live as though it were not so. But to me the future is still black and blank - is a vast ignorance, lit at a few casual places by the memory of his story...to witness that even when mind and strength had gone, gratitude and a mutual tenderness still lived on in the heart of man."

No comments:

Post a Comment