Tuesday, July 10, 2018

The First Purge

I may very well have been over analyzing this film, but I can't help it. Since the very first film in the series there have been so many connections to our current political and societal statuses. This one hits: the recent marches, Hitler's Nazis, Hitler's Propaganda, KKK, mercenaries, Black Water, Rodney King, police brutality, Trump, gun control, war on drugs, poverty in America, government housing, voting, institutional racism, using health care and science to enforce racists policies, gun violence, gang violence, and so much more. Those are just the symbols I caught watching in one go - I would need to see it again to catch even more I'm sure. This series is NOT just a horror series - this is a mirror of our culture, our society, and our politics. All in all, I say: SEE IT

No comments:

Post a Comment